Sons & Daughters of Joel

Website hosted by GoDaddy.  Made With Serif WebPlus

1. Austin Robert Martineau, 7th generation

1.Joel Hills Johnson + Anna Pixley Johnson

  2.Susan Ellen Johnson + James Henry Martineau

     3.Henry Augustus Martineau (+ Editha Melissa Johnson)

  2.Sixtus Ellis Johnson + Melissa Editha Merrill

     3.Editha Melissa Johnson (+ Henry Augustus Martineau)

        4.Charles Henry Martineau + Florence Whetten

           5.Charles Orlee Martineau + Eva Morales

Ukraine Donetsk, 2007


I served in the Ukraine Donetsk Mission 2007-2009.  I was in the MTC for 11 weeks learning Russian, the language of my mission.  The Donetsk area borders Russia, and the people there spoke Russian and had considerable Russian roots.  The influence of the Soviet Union is still felt quite strongly, and many of the older generation even pine for the days the Soviet Union, when nobody had much, but everyone had enough.  
       When I arrived in November of 2007, it was foggy and snowy, and for the next few weeks I didn't see the sun.  When the sun finally came out, it was even colder.  
       My mission was made up of branches, which had 20-90 active members, each with 4-6 missionaries.  30 active members was a pretty decent size.  There were about sixty missionaries, and about 80 yearly baptisms.  Still, because of the inactivity, branches were growing very slowly, if at all.
       In my first area, we found, taught, and baptized a mother and her four daughters.  We were street contacting when we met the woman we later baptized.  She took the Book of Mormon we briefly introduced, and gave us her phone number so we could follow up.  She seemed like she was in a hurry, and the whole exchange took place in under two minutes, I'd say.  We called and invited her to church, and she came with one of her daughters, but left right after sacrament meeting.  The next week we invited her again, and she came with another of her

Edwin is a ceramic tile contractor and lives in Aragon, New Mexico.

      We taught many families, but I don't remember baptizing anyone.  The chapel in Managua had survived the quake.  My last night in Managua, my companion and I were on a bus going home.  When we arrived, the lady of the house was in the living room surrounded by dozens of water containers.  We were surprised at the sight and asked, Why all the water?  Incredulous, she asked, "Didn't you feel the quake?"  While we were on the bus, a small earthquake had struck.  She had immediately sprung into action filling water containers.  Experience had taught her that lack of water in a disaster brought great suffering.  She didn't want to go through that again.  Nonetheless, I have yet to experience an earthquake!

            A mission is a great experience for a young man.  One great benefit, is the instruction that missionaries get.  Periodically, church leaders from SLC would come visit our mission for District conferences and other leadership meetings.  They would take the opportunity to meet with missionaries to teach us gospel principles.  They were great teachers and would approach all aspects of the gospel, milk and meat.

      Another benefit was our opportunity to befriend all kinds of people.  I made friends with government leaders, businessmen, common folk, and the poorest of the poor.  Good people, bad people, drunks, and saints.  I learned to be accepting of cultural differences in dress, food, traditions, and language.  I was exposed to the personal desires of all those who would open their hearts to us.  Most often they would find satisfaction in living the Gospel of Christ as taught by the LDS church.  People in that part of the world were happy knowing they belonged to the worldwide family of God.  Serving God in this manner  gave me a better perspective of life and I am grateful.

daughters, again leaving right after sacrament meeting.  Up until this Sunday the most substantive conversation we had had with her was the first one on the street.  That evening I called and asked if we could meet, and she said that she would like to, because she knew that there were things she had to learn and to do before she could join our church.  When we met, before we started teaching, we asked if she had questions.  She had one: how does one join our church? We taught the first and second lessons, and she quietly listened, not asking any questions.  At the end, we asked again if she had any questions, and she asked when she could start paying tithing.  We hadn't mentioned tithing.  She and the two daughters that were old enough were baptized four weeks later.  We later learned that after coming to church for the first time, she started reading the Book of Mormon at

Austin is currently a 2nd year law student at BYU Provo.

2. Charles Orlee Martineau, 5th generation

1.Joel Hills Johnson + Anna Pixley Johnson

  2.Susan Ellen Johnson + James Henry Martineau

     3.Henry Augustus Martineau (+ Editha Melissa Johnson)

  2.Sixtus Ellis Johnson + Melissa Editha Merrill

     3.Editha Melissa Johnson (+ Henry Augustus Martineau)

        4.Charles Henry Martineau + Florence Whetten



Orlee died in 1981 visiting Mexico.  He was a tile setter in Mesa, Arizona.

3. Nolan Martineau, 6th generation

1.Joel Hills Johnson + Anna Pixley Johnson

  2.Susan Ellen Johnson + James Henry Martineau

     3.Henry Augustus Martineau (+ Editha Melissa Johnson)

  2.Sixtus Ellis Johnson + Melissa Editha Merrill

     3.Editha Melissa Johnson (+ Henry Augustus Martineau)

        4.Charles Henry Martineau + Florence Whetten

5.Charles Orlee Martineau + Eva Morales

Mexico Norte, 1965

Excerpts from letters

October 1965  Monterrey.  I think I'll buy a cheap metal suitcase, because the Elders say they really bang up the luggage on the buses. . . My stomach is back to normal. . . We just tracted for a couple of hours because we had lots of things to do, but in those couple of hours we ran into a Baptist minister.  It was pretty good, but I thought my senior companion goofed, because he got a little impatient and lost communication.  Oh well, I now know how not to do it. . . IT IS REALLY CHOICE BEING HERE! . . . My only problem is that I have a big blister on the very end of both little toes and I can hardly walk.

 November 1965 Aguas Calientes.  I really enjoy tracting and since I went out with Elder Atkinson, I enjoy it more still.  I just went with him one morning and he taught me the way that tracting should really be done.  He explained that it should be done through the Spirit - not just repeat the same old words over and over.  When he tracted, it seemed that what he said to a person was a message especially for that person.  I've been trying to follow his advice and it's hard, but he explained that it takes a lot of practice and constant prayer to recognize the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

     We had been visiting an hermano who lives out of town, so whenever we would visit him, we would go on Sundays and hold services.  The Sunday before last we went to his home before holding services, and we found him very sick.  He told us by using hand motions that he had been sick for three days and hadn't eaten at all for two of them because he was sick of the tonsils and he couldn't swallow nor talk.  He was just an investigator and didn't know about anointing the sick, so we explained that if he had faith in the Holy Priesthood that we held, we could anoint him, bless him, and then he would be healed.  He nodded without hesitation, and we went ahead with the anointing.  We left right after we blessed him, but before we left, he made it known to us that he wanted us to return to his home right after Sunday school to give him the first discussion.  It was really something for him to want to hear the discussion even though he was sick in bed and couldn't talk.  We agreed we would return.  When services were over we went back to give him the first discussion, and when we entered his room, we found him eating and talking very happily!  We asked him to explain what happened, and he said that less than half an hour after we left he had started coughing up a lot of stuff and his throat also got better.  It was wonderful to see that man's faith and love for the Gospel.  We've given him three lessons now, and we baptized him last Sunday.  His wife is a little afraid to listen to us, but we hope to gain her confidence soon and see if we can't baptize her.  Last Sunday when we baptized her husband we got her to cook up a turkey we bought for her and it surely tasted good!  That kinda broke the ice a little and we benefited a little ourselves.

December 1965.  Torreon.  We baptized our second investigator yesterday.  He is probably the poorest person I will ever baptize, but he is one of the most sincere, too.  Luckily it looks like his wife isn't going to leave him, because at first she had threatened to leave him.  

     Yesterday we met a man in a restaurant who was a magician and a ventriloquist.  He recognized us as Elders and asked us if we had 10 Joseph Smith pamphlets because he had several friends that wanted them.  As we talked with him we came to find out that he was an investigator, and he was ready for baptism.  He is reading the Book of Mormon, Jesus the Christ, and A Marvelous Work and a Wonder.  Today we are going to give him the fifth lesson because he hasn't had it yet and maybe we will baptize him on Sunday.

      This branch keeps coming up with more problems every day.  We found a couple of inactive members living in adultery and another drinking alcohol, so we have to see if they will repent.  However, the branch is slowly progressing.  We have a couple of teachers now and we won't have to give so many classes. . .

The work is coming along fairly well.  Yesterday we baptized the three hermanas that will help quite a bit.

Nolan died in 1970 of a brain tumor.  He lived in Mesa, Arizona.

5.  Nolan Seitz Martineau, 7th generation

1.Joel Hills Johnson + Anna Pixley Johnson

  2.Susan Ellen Johnson + James Henry Martineau

     3.Henry Augustus Martineau (+ Editha Melissa Johnson)

  2.Sixtus Ellis Johnson + Melissa Editha Merrill

     3.Editha Melissa Johnson (+ Henry Augustus Martineau)

        4.Charles Henry Martineau + Florence Whetten

           5.Charles Orlee Martineau + Eva Morales  

Argentina Buenos Aires Norte, 1998

      I started my mission in January 1998 at the MTC in Provo Utah. There were 12 Elders in my group and all of us were assigned to Argentina. I served in the Buenos Aires North Mission. My nine-week stay in the MTC was memorable and intense. There was so much to learn and it seemed that every spare moment was used to study. The majority of our study time was learning the Spanish language. I was impressed with some of the Elders I saw who would go an entire day only speaking Spanish, looking up every word with a dictionary they carried around all day! The days were disciplined, up early and in bed early. There were many spiritual devotionals and inspiring messages from general authorities.

        We finally left for Argentina the last day of March, and arrived April 1st. My first companion took me out to work as soon as we had delivered my luggage to our apartment. As we were walking in the street an airliner flew overhead. He asked me, “Elder, how far away do you think that airplane is?” I said I didn’t have any idea. He replied, “For me, its four weeks away, for you its two years away!”

        The people in Argentina have more European ancestry than I had imagined. In the city there were many blond-haired blue-eyed people. The food had a lot of Italian influence. Because there are so many grasslands there is an abundance of beef! I rarely ate anything strange.

       My first area was one of the richest areas of the mission. There were high-rise apartment building, taxies and busses filled the street, there were both subway and light rail trains as well. The rich area was next to the river, and middle class area was farther inland. The mission president lived in our area as well as several American families who worked for large international companies. Their houses were like mansions and they invited us for dinner often. It was nice to have American food and feel like I wasn’t in a foreign country, but my companion always reminded me that our area wasn’t like any other area in the mission.

        In my first area we were able to find and baptize several people who lived in the middle class areas. We knocked on doors nearly every day and walked and took the bus everywhere we went. My companion was a great example of sharing the gospel every chance he got. Every time we got on a bus he would sit next to someone and start talking to them about the church right away. I followed his example and did the same thing for the rest of my mission. I never personally baptized anyone from a bus contact, but I met several stalwart members of the church whose initial contact with the missionaries had been on a bus!

       My second area was on the outskirts of the city in a neighborhood called Las Tunas. There was some kind of slaughterhouse in the area and it always smelled bad, but I got used to it pretty quick. The other thing I remember is that there was a stream in the area that was a different color every day! I don’t know what kind of factory was dumping waste into the water but it made an impression on me! The people were more humble in this area and open to the gospel message. Most lived in simply constructed brick houses. Most had running water in the house but some had a hand pump in the yard that they would use to fill buckets.

        The ward had a newly constructed chapel. It was a beautiful building in a centralized part of the neighborhood. The members were very grateful to not have to travel so far anymore to go to their meetings. I was very impressed with the members of this ward. They loved The Gospel and were excited to share it with other people. The Bishop was a former Mission President; he was educated and successful and a great leader.

        My third area was similar to my second area, except it was a little more congested and a little poorer. The members were wonderful to us and took care of feeding us every day. It was in this area I had a very memorable experience. It was summer time and one day the heat and humidity were stifling. All of our appointments fell though and no one wanted to talk to us when we tried tracting. My companion and I both complained to each other all morning about the heat. At lunch time we went to Hermana Martinez’s house, where we grumbled to her about the heat. She ignored our grumbling and excitedly told us that she was having a great day! She explained that she had done her visiting teaching that morning and visited some inactive sisters. She had been walking on the same dusty bumpy dirt roads that I had, AND she had two small children in tow, yet she was happy to be in the Lord's work. The weather was the last thing on her mind. I was humbled and inspired by her example.

        My forth area was a little closer to the city and a big change for me. I was a senior companion for the first time, a trainer, and we opened an area that hadn’t had missionaries for some time. My companion was six feet seven inches tall and probably 250 pounds! I remember one day we were walking and there was a group of men in the distance who started yelling at us in an unkind manner, to put it mildly. As we got closer and they saw how big my companion was they changed their tune and nervously started asking questions like they were interested!

        One day we started talking to some kids playing soccer in the street. One of the kids invited us to his house to meet his parents. They lived in a humble shack in a dirt lot on the side of the Argentina version of a Super Wal-Mart. It turns out that the family had been baptized a few years earlier but had stopped going to church! They began coming to church every week and two of their kids got baptized. We were soon introduced to a relative of the family who was baptized along with her two sons. That sister introduced us to another family member who was baptized as well! The last woman who was baptized had a husband who wasn’t happy that she had been baptized. As a matter of fact he had threatened to leave her if she joined the church but she called his bluff! He warmed up to the church enough to go to the meetings, but didn’t want to be baptized. Then one Sunday in Church he was holding his infant daughter in the hallway who had Down syndrome. The Relief Society president approached him and commented to him that his daughter had a special spirit inside of her. The father was so impressed and appreciative of that comment that he decided to take the lessons and was baptized a few weeks later! He was a very faithful convert to the church who endured harassment at work because of his decision. I was sad to leave that area because I had so many good experiences there.

       My next area was in Villa Crespo near the center of the city. It was a very metropolitan area, high rise buildings, and very crowded. I see New York on TV and it looks a lot like Buenos Aires does. We had success making street contacts, and setting up a stand in a city park. We also actually contacted, taught and baptized an elderly woman who we had contacted by ringing her buzzer and introducing ourselves though the intercom! She lived directly across the street from the church and my companion and I both felt impressed to tract that street, even though it wasn’t in the area we had been tracting in that day. It was truly a miracle that we were prompted to find her, because for weeks and weeks we hadn’t so much as taught one lesson though an intercom contact!

       Another interesting thing about the down town area of Buenos Aires is the number of undocumented immigrants. We frequently contacted people from Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay and even some Brazilians! All had come to the big city to find work because the economic situations in their home countries were poor. They lived in crowded apartments, and squatted in abandoned buildings. They worked in the worst conditions and for the lowest pay, and still managed to send money home to their families.

        My next area was in San Nicolas, about three hours from the Capital. It was a small city and my area was on the outskirts. The people in that area took their siestas seriously, so tracting after lunch time was not an option because anyone at home would be napping. I enjoyed the fresh air and open spaces. There was some farming and ranching. We worked with little success in San Nicolas, and I was only there for two months.

        My last area was a neighborhood called Marilo. It was in suburbs, dirt roads and humble families. We worked hard for the last two months of my mission. I made some good friends and was the zone leader. We were able to find two people who were later baptized. I was in that area for the millennium celebration and I remember the fireworks and celebrations that lasted for hours! The branch attended church in a small rented house and there were often no more than 20-25 people there. I recently learned that there is a ward in Marilo, and a brand new chapel!

       I will always be thankful to my Heavenly Father for the opportunity that I had to serve a mission. I learned so much from the good examples of my companions and from the members of the church that I met. The experience strengthened my own testimony of the gospel and set a foundation for the rest of my life.

4. Charles Edwin Martineau, 6th generation

1.Joel Hills Johnson + Anna Pixley Johnson

  2.Susan Ellen Johnson + James Henry Martineau

     3.Henry Augustus Martineau (+ Editha Melissa Johnson)

  2.Sixtus Ellis Johnson + Melissa Editha Merrill

     3.Editha Melissa Johnson (+ Henry Augustus Martineau)

        4.Charles Henry Martineau + Florence Whetten

5.Charles Orlee Martineau + Eva Morales

Central America, 1972


random places, and opened to Mormon 8.  She hadn't baptized her children, even though doing so is customary in the Orthodox church.  She didn't feel right about baptizing her children, but was concerned nonetheless.  That chapter answered her question.  She gained a testimony of the Book of Mormon after reading that and other passages.  She and her family have remained faithful.

        After that experience, I considered myself fortunate if I had an investigator pool.  In the next eight areas combined (about 15 months), I could probably count on one hand the number of “progressing investigators” (investigators who attended church and fulfilled reading assignments) we had.

       However, regardless of the lack of visible success during the last part of my mission, I am grateful that I was able to have the opportunity to serve and learn and grow throughout the mission, and for all of the experiences that I had.

Orlee Martineau (right) & companion at Amecameca

February 1966.  We have about five who are ready for baptism, but there are problems that have to be fixed - they are not married by the civil law.  One of them said they knew that the things we had taught them were true.  What a wonderful feeling!  The only thing that holds them back is that they are not married, and that will be a problem, because the woman is married to another man who left her.  She will have to get divorced from him, and marry the brother, so that when they are baptized they will not be living in adultery.

     There is another "marriage" who need to fix the same problem that the others have.  This is less complicated because neither of them is married to someone else.  The problem with them was that they didn't have a testimony because the Jehovah's Witnesses confused them.  The other day we went to visit them and found the Jehovah's Witnesses giving them a class on the gathering of Israel.  (They say that it will be a spiritual gathering, and not literal.)  We sat down to listen, and when they finished we asked them where it says that it will be spiritual, and we showed them various scriptures where it indicates that there will be two places where they will reunite, and it will be literal.  They didn't answer well.  It ended up that we asked them questions about the scriptures for two hours, and they were kind of mad, and the family noticed how much the Witnesses know.  Now they have attended Church many times.

     There are Witnesses all over Matehuala!  All this week we have been talking to them.  One of them, who sharpens hatchets, knives, etc, came to sharpen our hatchet (We have to cut wood to heat our water).  We talked with him for two or three hours and we made a visit with him last Friday.  At that visit we gave him the fifth lesson (where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going).  We showed him so many scriptures about each point that he couldn't say anything to the contrary.  We have visited him about four times, and he is coming along.  In fact, he told one of our investigators, whom he also visits, that the Book of Mormon was good, and that the things that we taught were also good!  The bad thing is that he continues teaching the doctrine of the Witnesses, but we'll see of he doesn't wake up one of these days.

     How much I have learned during these past two weeks!  Every time we go to talk to the Witnesses we study so much to be able to prove everything we say.  It looks like we're going to talk with a minister one of these days, too.  For me it's better because every time I listen to other religions my testimony grows, and I thank our Father in heaven for the testimony he has given me, for I know that the gospel is complete and true. . .

      Wednesday we're going to have another discussion with the Witnesses, but this time it will be with the big chief of them, and maybe with others that he will invite, because we told him to invite his members.  We'll see how it all ends up. . .

        I am a little sad now because we haven't been able to baptize anyone this month.  It isn't because the people don't accept, but because they are not married.  We have not been able to marry those who are ready for baptism.  I hope that we'll be able to marry them this month.

     It looks like we have found another family that may be baptized.  As always, they, too, have studied with the Jehovah's Witnesses, but we're not worried about them because we already spoke with the big chief, and he's as confused as the rest of his members, so we're not worried.

March 1966.  Montemorelos.  When we went to say good-bye to the members and investigators, it made me very sad because we had so many friends in Matehuala.  We also had several investigators who attended every Sunday and we were going to baptize them.  Two of them are going to be married this week, and after that the other missionaries will baptize them.  There were also some other investigators that were really great.  One old man had already read clear to Jacob in the Book of Mormon in one day!  Well, I hope that they all will be baptized, although I don't get to do a single one.

     Montemorelos, from what I've seen, because it's been cloudy and rainy, is very pretty.  They say that it gets very hot in the summer, but these days it has been cool.  There are many orange orchards here, and it looks like most of the oranges in Mexico come from here.  Everything is green, and there are several creeks around.  The people themselves is another matter.  It seems like they all want to be our friends, but not our brethren.  Do you remember that Matehuala had a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses?  Well, here there seem to be many Seventh Day Adventists.  I think that I'll be learning something about them also, as I did in Matehuala.  We're already gone to meet some members, and they say that I'm going to get fat here.

     The lady we spoke with knew about the Mormons and tried to tell us why she didn't believe in the Church.  It seems that someone didn't explain to her very well about baptism for the dead, because she didn't understand it well.  We spent quite awhile with her, and at the end she declared that it was a very beautiful doctrine.  We left her a pamphlet, and we'll see what happens next.  I hope that she'll come to Church because she is very intelligent and would be a good member, except that I wish she were a man!

April 1966.  We have baptized three very good sisters!  We went to the river, and there we had the baptisms, and a day in the country.  It was really choice.  One of the elders from Monterrey tried to get on a bull, but the bull didn't let him do it.

Monterrey.  I'm not in Montemorelos anymore, I'm in Monterrey.  I feel like a church without apostles - tossed by every wind.

May 1966.  I am very happy here in Monterrey.  I like the neighborhood where we are tracting.  We haven't found many people, but we do have several people who I think we will baptize very soon.  They are "golden" because they accept everything and we can't tell them enough about the gospel.  They always have more questions, and want to know more.  The thing that is not so good is that the family is composed just of women, and the husband doesn't care to know anything.  It's always like that.  Sometimes I want to really let him have it to wake him up.  I just worry about his friends and the bottle.

     Yesterday we gave the third lesson to our "golden" family, and this lesson talks about the Word of Wisdom.  The father wasn't there, but we knew he was in the other room listening, and when we talked about not drinking liquor we talked really loud to make sure he heard.  We asked the family if they could imagine a drunk in the presence of God.  We'll see if he starts to think.

     Today I have to give a class in Mutual about something about music, and I think I'll teach them how to direct hymns, because when I'm playing the piano I get confused because they don't direct well.  All the sisters in the branch are very enthusiastic, and they appear to accept callings very well.  The branch president is the one who generates the enthusiasm, because he's choice.  Before he was baptized (three years ago) he was a drinker, and the people didn't like him, but when he was baptized he changed completely, and now he's the branch president, and everyone loves him a lot!  He has a beautiful testimony of the gospel. . .

     We are also teaching another family that is "golden."  The sad part is that the father and the oldest son don't want to listen.  The son Juan always goes to Church and does want to be baptized.  This is a big problem because the father doesn't want to sign the baptism papers, and the mother and her two daughters want to be baptized.  He says they don't understand and they couldn't live it.  Well for me, I have not encountered a family which has shown such desire to attend and learn more.  They have attended more than all the rest of our investigators, and they have understood the discussions very well.  Last night we went and presented a film strip about what is a Mormon.  It was the first time that the father has listened to us and he liked the film, but he doesn't want to sign for another week until the sisters think a little more.  Having found this family, I think that now I understand what the president said about people who are just waiting for the missionaries.  For me it has been a great blessing to be the instrument in the hands of the Lord to bring them the true gospel.  

June 1966.  We have three families who are preparing for their baptisms, and I think if everything goes well we'll have about seven baptisms.  The bad thing is that we should have about 20 families preparing themselves.  We are practically not working, and I'm very sad.  We aren't using our time as we ought, and when I say this to my companion he gets mad, so it's better for me not to say anything.  I hope that when I'm a senior companion I won't lose so much time.  The thing that amazes me is that everyone tells us that we're working much better than the other elders who have worked here.

     We found a "golden" couple!  We already gave them the second lesson, and they liked it a lot.  They have told us that they were just waiting for someone like us who would teach them the true gospel, because they are tired of going to so many churches and not finding the truth.

     We also found another couple, but they don't know how to read.  They also liked what we were teaching them, and we know this because they told us the same thing the other family told us, and when we asked them what day we could return, they said, "Whenever you like!"  These things make me feel that we really aren't losing all our time, and we really are doing something in spite of the rest. . .

We had two more baptisms this week.  It's the first time I've baptized a man and his wife.  They are really fine people and come to church quite a bit.  Today they brought some of their friends to Sunday School and last time they brought their daughter-in-law.  They're pretty good missionaries!

     I'm sure happy in this branch because I get to play the piano.  It sure feels good when you can help the branch out in some way, instead of just filling up a seat.  I'm sure glad Mother made me take the lessons at least until I could play fairly well. . .

     The sister we baptized has a beautiful testimony.  Before we knew her she was practically an addict to coffee.  In the morning she would drink 3 or 4 cups of coffee; at noon she would down a few more cups, and at night she would finish off a kettle-full by herself! Her doctor told her to quit it or her nervous system wouldn't last long.  She just as soon die before quitting coffee, though.  Well, along came the Mormons and we explained that part of the gospel was to not drink coffee.  She believed and she had faith in the Lord that he would help her quit it.  Well at the end of the first day her head hurt so much that she had to take some, but for the next three days, even though her head ached badly, she wouldn't take any.  She made it and she says that it is not even a temptation when others drink in front of her!  That sure strengthened my testimony of the gospel!  Today she is counting her blessings, for example, she belongs to the true Church of our Savior, she certainly has much better health, and they will save close to $2,500 pesos for not drinking coffee!

July 1966, Reynosa

I've been changed again and I'm in Reynosa, Tamaulipas with my first junior companion!  Reynosa is a border town, but it's really pretty nice.  The heat is the worst part.  The people are really nice so far.   The majority of the people let us in, and many want to know more.  Our apartment is on the roof of a two-story house.  It's nice and the wind always blows and keeps things stirred up so it's not so bad.  At night we sleep on the terrace and it's nice and cool.

August 1966

Here we are just fine and things are going well.  We've found quite a few people that want to investigate the church and I'm quite sure that several will accept a baptism in a few more weeks and maybe sooner.  We've had people tell us after the first lesson that there was no doubt in their hearts that what we had taught them was true.  I hope they do their part and gain a testimony!  Another 18 year old boy is really interested in the church and has already come out to church.  His parents are indifferent to the gospel but they have consented to let their son investigate the church.  He would be a choice priesthood holder and that's what we need.

     We've had it kind of hard just walking into Reynosa like we did because we had to start from scratch.  We didn't take anybody's place.  However we are fairly well settled now and are gaining speed every day. . .

     We have worked very well and we are seeing the fruits.  We now have about 16 or 18 investigators who seem to be choice, and from them I am sure that some will be baptized in a short time. . .

      A few things have happened which hinder the work.  For example, last week the other elders were accused of something they didn't do, and they told them they had to leave their house.  So we spent half a day looking for another house.  Three days later the lady asked forgiveness for what she had said and let them stay there, but now they don't want to stay, and tomorrow we're going to move from our house because we found a whole house for 850 pesos, which will be much cheaper for us with four elders.  We'll cook for ourselves.

     Last Tuesday the father of one of the brothers died, but they hadn't planned a funeral in the chapel because other relatives were Catholic.  We spent Wednesday morning planning the funeral and telling the members about it.  The funeral went well, except that they took the body to the Catholic Church so everyone would be happy.  .  .

     The other night it was raining and we were getting all wet while walking home.  Suddenly a lady stuck her head out of her house and called us over to get out of the rain.  It sure seemed strange to me because she was a fanatic Catholic when we tracted her out a couple of days before, but we still went inside.  She presented us to a man who was eating supper and then started asking us to explain him the message of the other day.  Well, we started to, but the man would contradict us on almost every point.  There were other people there so we pulled out our Bible and started proving everything we said with scriptures so that the other people would see that we were right.  We were there about 20 minutes discussing several points and the man was getting a little nervous.  Then he "had" to go and offered us a ride home.  We accepted and got in his car.  There he asked us several questions about the gospel and then he told us who he was.  He was a Catholic Priest!  What a surprise!  Well, he asked us to visit him at his church because he wanted to know more.  It's strange that a Priest should invite us because all of the ones I've tracted out have slammed the door in my face.

October 1966

Perhaps you have noticed that I always talk about investigators and not about people who've been baptized.  It's because we haven't had any baptisms as we have hoped, because it never fails that they don't want to repent of their sins to be worthy of a testimony.  They don't pay attention to the many blessings that await them!  Sometimes I despair because they don't kneel, to test the efficacy of prayer, but we can only testify to them, pray, and fast for them, and the rest is on their shoulders.  

     Today I complete one year in the mission. . .

     Last Friday we baptized two more hermanas so that makes five baptisms that we've had here in Reynosa altogether.  One of the two hermanas is an elderly lady that studies very much and she always would tell us that she was looking for the true church but didn't know which one it was.  She would read each pamphlet we gave her at least 3 or 4 times in order to understand them well.  Now she is a member and she's happy because she has found the true Church. . .

     After much prayer and fasting the Lord granted the desire of our hearts and gave testimonies to two sisters whom we have wanted to baptize for a long time.  Do you remember the brother we baptized without his wife?  Now she is a member, and the family is once again together and happy!  The sister was very shy before, and could hardly speak.  She didn't want to be baptized because she didn't feel the desire, and she said that she had promised a "saint" that if he would do a miracle, she would put on a "habit" (clothing of this Catholic saint).  After talking to her about this she was confused, and didn't know if she should put it on or not.  She continued attending the Church with her husband and always went to Mutual.  She was simple and clean of heart, and wanted to be sure of what we were saying.  I think that the thing that made her think was temple marriage for eternity.  She loves her family a lot, and she wants to have them with her always.

     The other sister was a Seventh Day Adventist, a 21 year old youth who knows the gospel well, and although they had given her the six lessons and more, she didn't want to be baptized.  The elders who had taught her couldn't make her see what we can do because she was practically like a member, she always attended.  We went and just bore our testimony of the Book of Mormon, and I know the Spirit of the Lord was there because I felt it without a single doubt!  Well, she started to think about the things that we told her, and she started to read the Book of Mormon.  Other sisters talked to her about genealogy, and she got very interested in that, also.  She quickly received her testimony, and since she lives close to the other sister, she started to talk to her and encourage her to get baptized together.  They were baptized today.  How happy I am!  One thing I think is funny is that the sister used, as a baptismal outfit, the habit she was going to put on.

     Now a little about my studies.  The last two weeks I believe I have learned more about what exaltation means than in any other time of my life, because now more than ever I notice that I have much to change and much to improve to be worthy to enter this glory.  I see that really it is not a sacrifice as we always think, because who would call it a sacrifice to give ten cents for a hundred dollars?  This is all we are giving compared with the beautiful and immense recompense which the Lord has for us.

November 1966

This morning we visited with another sister who also said she was ready for baptism.  This sister is the mother of a sister who was baptized a year ago.  The two were so full of joy that tears filled their eyes.  How choice it felt to be in that room!  She just needs to be interviewed and we can baptize her. . .

     I didn't write last week, but there wasn't anything to tell you because we spent all that week in our room.  My companion was sick in bed all that time with who knows what, but he was too weak to work.  We went to the doctor when he got sick, and he gave him some medicine which we went to buy at the pharmacy and he almost fainted there, so I put him in bed until he got better.  Now he is fine and we worked all this week.  The trouble is that we are now a little behind for not having worked, and I don't think we will have any more baptisms until the beginning of December.

     Last Sunday we ordained one of our baptisms and gave him the priesthood office of a teacher.  Also one of the sisters who we baptized is advancing very rapidly.  Two weeks after being baptized she has read more than half of the Book of Mormon, and she understands it very well.  The other day she was telling us about some parts of the book, and it gave me much joy to see her so happy.       On Sundays she takes part in the class, and she stands up to give explanations to the other members who never say anything.  Now she has asked us for a copy of Jesus the Christ, because she wants to understand the class better, and read beforehand what the class will have.  Another of our baptisms is a teacher for the youngest group of Mutual girls.  These are fruits which truly fill me with joy!

December 1966

Last Sunday we baptized three more people who are truly choice.  Two of these people were a couple who we had taught for about three months.  Their problem was that they never went to Church, but finally they started to go, and they liked it.  The Sunday that we baptized them was also testimony meeting, and also blessing of babies.  So we blessed their two children, and the sister bore her testimony.

January 1966.  Matehuala  We baptized the magician.  After we baptized him he presented a program for the whole Mutual.

     We had a rare experience.  We went to the home of a family. The whole family is active in the church except the father, and the missionaries had told me that he was a spiritualist.  He is a member of the Church, but he had stopped coming three months ago.  This Saturday, after eating, he and I started talking about a lot of things until we reached the subject where all conversations lead to - religion.  He explained to me at length what spiritualism is, and then I explained some things which he had not understood about the gospel.  It ended up that we talked eight hours!  Then when we left he told me that he would go to Church Sunday, and he did.  This brother really is very good, and he treats us like kings, just that his ideas are a little twisted, but we'll see if we can put them to rights.

       How I like the people in Matehuala!  When we go tracting, almost all the people let us come in and give the message.  The people are also very amiable.  The only thing is that the city - or better, the town - is kind of ugly, and they say that it's plenty hot in the summers, but right now it's really cold.  We have some really choice families, and we hope to baptize them in February.  What impedes us more than anything are the Jehovah's Witnesses. almost everyone has listened to the Witnesses for a long time, and they want us to clarify many points.  We have spoken with many Witnesses and they have some ideas that they themselves cannot understand.

January 1967

The other day we talked to a weird character that belonged to some study group that is not any religion.  It was some form of spiritualist group that believes in reincarnation.  Well, he talked to us about his beliefs for about a half an hour and they sure were weird.  In his conversation he actually said that he received his knowledge from Satan!  I don't think that I have called anybody to repentance so stiffly as I did that guy.  The Devil is sure working hard on these people because his time is getting short.

February 1967, Saltillo

This city is pretty nice.  All the Elders kept telling me how small and ugly it was but when my companion and I arrived, we surely did like it.  We lost a little time trying to find a place to stay but we finally found a pretty neat place.  It's right in the center of town where all the buses pass by, and all the stores are at our fingertips.

     The main purpose of this writing is to let you know where I am and to ask for money.  With all this traveling I've spent it all and I'll soon be living off my companion.  Getting started was the biggest problem because we had to buy all of our utensils but I think it will be cheaper after that.  .  .

     I received the $75 check.  I don't think I'll use it all, but I put $25 in the bank to make it easier to cash checks.  Sometimes they don't want to cash them until someone with an account signs the check.  Now with this account which I have there won't be any more problems, and you can keep sending checks.  Also, if there is an emergency and I need money I can take it out without having to ask a loan of my companions, as has happened twice on my mission.  Sometimes with so much traveling and things like that my money runs out quickly - but I don't need more than $75 a month because more often than not I have extra money.

     We have one investigator who is a member of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  He is very interested and sincere in wanting to know if his baptism was valid or not.  I think that he will be one of our first baptisms.

     It looks like we're going to form a small choir.  In Reynosa we didn't have a piano and we couldn't form one, but here we do have a piano.  My companion knows how to play the piano also, so now I can direct the choir. . .

     The work is going very well.  We have good investigators.  At one visit the investigators invite their friends and neighbors every time we go, and now there are about eight people listening to us there.  The last time a little old lady listened for the first time, and we talked about the word of wisdom.  At the end she resolved to give up her vice of smoking.  A week has passed, and yesterday we saw her.  She hasn't smoked at all since listening to us, and now she wants to know more!  

     The other day we spoke with a minister of a church named "The Church of Christ."  Just recently he and two other people got together and decided to organize their church.  They have some very weak fundamentals, and he himself told us that he didn't believe that his church was true.  He didn't think that it could be found on the earth, and when we told him about the restoration he was amazed.  We spoke with him about three hours that night, but he didn't want to accept it.  He said that the only thing wrong that we do is dance.  Well, you know how I feel about dancing, so I didn't let him win on that one for anything!

     Yesterday we met a Jehovah's Witness and made an appointment with him.  Later some people told us that he is the one who teaches the rest of the Witnesses.  We'll see how we do when we return to give him the first lesson.  These guys know the Bible really well, and they know how to twist it badly. . .

     I want you to give [Aunt] Paula this referral for her to give the elders there in Fresno, California.  He is the father of one of our converts in Reynosa.  He wants his father and mother to know the gospel.  

March 1967

I have good news!  We are gong to baptize two very fine ladies.  They are sisters and are living alone (old maids).  They certainly are happy because of the Gospel.  One of them broke into tears when we told them that baptism is for the remission of sins and after they repent the Lord will remember their sins no more.  Some Jehovah Witnesses tried to convince them that we were preaching false doctrine because we said that God has a body of flesh and bones.  They couldn't do it, and the hermanas told them they were going to say with La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Días.  That shook them off.

     Even though the Jehovah Witnesses don't accept anything we say, I enjoy talking to them in order to refresh my memory on a lot of scriptures because they want everything proved from the Bible.  The sad part is that everything they say they can't prove in the same way.  They tie themselves up in knots.

     Well, I guess that's enough gossip for today.  I sure do like Saltillo and the people. . .

     The little branch also seems to be becoming more active all the time.  When my companion and I first arrived, hardly anyone spoke to us, except the branch president and some leaders.  It wasn't like in other branches where they great you quickly and become friends with us.  But now we have gained their confidence, and they are happier.  We have been forming a choir of the members.  Before everyone escapes from sacrament meeting we catch them and teach them how to sing the different parts of a hymn.  They like it a lot, and soon we will present a number in sacrament meeting.

April 1967

For the first time in Mexico they transmitted General Conference from Salt Lake.  The whole branch heard Conference on the radio.  It was really great.

May 1967

I was sick to my stomach for half a day, but now I'm fine.  The thing that did me in was some goat meat which I didn't even like.

     The Lord certainly has blessed us abundantly.  Today we had more baptisms.  Last week we baptized two and today we baptized four, so that's six for this month, more than I've had for any other month!

June 1967

Last month (May) we baptized 14!  Man, that's almost as many as I have baptized in all my mission.  The Lord has surely helped us these last few days!  So far that makes 17 baptisms in Saltillo in four months and I think we have about four more lined up within a couple of weeks.

     Last week the frame to my glasses broke.  I had to buy a new frame and everything else along with it, and it cost 250 pesos.  That sort of left me short of money for June so if you can send about $25 sometime this month I sure would appreciate it.  Everything has come up this month.  I had to buy more Books of Mormon and to top things off my companion is broke, too, and he won't have money until the 15th to pay me back what I loaned him. . .

     I received the check and things and it got here just in time because I didn't have a cent.

     The weather has sure been nice.  In the mornings it's all foggy and cool and in the evenings it clouds up and keeps things cool, too.  It's the best place in the mission, I think.

     My new companion is Elder John Sellers from Ogden, Utah.  He certainly is a wonderful person and I hope to learn a lot from him.  In the couple of days that Elder Sellers has been with me we have made all kinds of return visits that look pretty good.  Elder Sellers seems to have some kind of spirit that radiates all over.

July 1967

I just received a letter from the president that says that I'm to go to Camargo in a few days to be the branch president.  I don't know much about branch government, but I guess I can learn fast.  I'm sure excited about the change, and now I'm going to need your prayers more than ever so that I can do my job like I should.

August 1967

It sure made me happy to hear that the family in Fresno got baptized.  The hermano in Reynosa sure must be happy!

     Here in Camargo has really been full of problems.  Lots of members have moved out and very few are left to attend church.  We're starting to visit the inactive members a lot more to see if they won't warm up again.  It's slow but we hope it will give some results.

President Whetten came by yesterday to straighten out our books and he says that we will soon be getting a piano.  That will sure help out on the spirit of the meetings because this branch doesn't seem to like to sing at all.  Maybe with the piano they will liven up a bit.  . .

       We're still trying to get this branch going.  It sure is slow because the members simply don't want to come out to church.  We have a membership of about 47 including babies and the most that have come out is 30, and that happened only once.  The rest of the time only 5 to 15 come out.

     Last Friday President Green came to hold a branch conference that was really beautiful.  About 22 members and 8 investigators showed up to it.  We had several speakers and then President Green showed a film that was about where we came from, why we're here, and where we are going.  If more members would have come I'm sure they would have become active again but even though we invited them several times they just "don't have time."

     At the conference we presented a number by a small choir we mustered up.  Three of the choir members were investigators that are sure choice people and the other three were a member, my companion, and me.  We couldn't get anybody else to join it because the members don't know how to sing.  They just sing one straight note without changing, but with these three hermana investigators as members (soon) they will help a lot to teach the rest.

     We had another run with the Jehovah Witnesses the other day.  We went to our three investigators' house and found the Witnesses there about to give them a lesson.  They were causing a lot of doubt to come over our investigators because they would contradict everything we would say when we weren't there.  Well, we decided to let the hermanas see for themselves the weak foundation the Testigos have, so we talked with them for about an hour, and that was enough.  I don't think they'll be causing any more problems, and we hope to baptize the hermanas in a week or so. . .

                  There were many Jews in this city also.  When we came to their homes during tracting, we would recognize them because they had little metal scrolls and symbols attached to their door frames. Once, we met a nice Jewish gentleman on the street one Saturday afternoon.  We talked with him about the restoration while he listened intently.  When we offered him pamphlets, he took a step backwards, motioned to himself, and replied that he could not take them because he was "clean."  It dawned on me that it was his Sabbath and he would breaking the Sabbath by taking pamphlets to carry home.

           We baptized a young couple from Chile.  They had fled their homeland because of the Allende government  (communist).  We also taught another young couple who were not married and  had word of wisdom issues.  I invited them to a baptism in the Canal Zone to see the ceremony.  I was surprised when he came alone.  He was quite agitated and wanted to talk to me.  He said that he and his wife were having problems and he wanted to know what he should do to improve his life.  I encouraged him to live the gospel of Christ and strive to keep the word of wisdom.  He then left and didn't stay for the baptism.  We met a few more times before I left the area.  I hope he eventually took my advice.


In San Pedro we hitch-hiked to and from our area which was 7 miles out of town!  It was a quick way to get home and a good way to ask golden questions.  (We had mission president’s permission.)  

My call came from the prophet Joseph Fielding Smith to serve in the Central America Mission, which included Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Honduras.  I reported to the Salt Lake City missionary home on March 17, 1972, where all missionaries, foreign and domestic, had a week of  common training at the hands of General Authorities.  Most memorable to me was a meeting in the large assembly room in an upper floor of the Salt Lake Temple.  An apostle directed the meeting to explain the endowment and answer any question.

            The foreign speaking missionaries were moved to the Provo Language Training Mission for a 2 month course designed to teach the gospel "discussions" in the language of your mission.  It was an easy task for me since I already knew Spanish.  I was useful in helping my companions learn.  We were also taught how to be productive missionaries.

            My first area of service was in San Jose, Costa Rica.  In my mission, missionaries generally rented a spare room from a  family and also had meals prepared by the same family.  Cold showers were normal and very uncomfortable during cold seasons.  We traveled everywhere on foot or bus throughout the mission.  Door to door tracting was a daily activity unless we were teaching lessons.  There were no stakes, only districts and branches.  Missionaries only served in the largest 2 or 3 cities of each country.


       A couple of memorable experiences in San Jose included teaching and baptizing a 40 something woman named Yamil Dajer Ocampo.  She was from the Dominican Republic living with a sister ward member.  She taught me the tongue twiser, "Esta noche vendrá un murcielago, y os desnariz-orejonará, y se irá!".  Translated, "Tonight a vampire will come, remove your nose and ears, and leave!"  Yamil was a wonderful woman who had experienced serious challenges, yet took the opportunity to change by embracing the Gospel.

            Another, not so pleasant experience, was at a sacrament meeting.  A new aging investigator of ours came and I had him sit next to me.   I was new and inexperienced.  For some reason, I had the opinion that new investigators should not take the sacrament until they had the lesson on the atonement.  I had not explained this to my investigator beforehand, unfortunately.  When the sacrament came to me, I partook and tried to explain in whispers to my investigator why he should not partake.  He was appalled at my suggestion and started to make a loud fuss, to my embarrassment.  What a mess.  Afterward, my senior companion had a good laugh.

            Next I served in Comayaguela, Honduras.  The poverty in my area was impressive.  We taught one family who lived in a cardboard hut on the side of a mountain with no electricity.  

          While here, the country experienced a coup.  The government failed and the army took over.  Police with white shirts normally directed street traffic, then one day, guys in military green were directing traffic.  After 2 weeks every thing went back to normal; white shirts directed traffic.  I was in Comayaguela on Dec 23, 1972 when a powerful earthquake struck Managua, Nicaragua, a city in my mission.  The quake killed 5000, injured 20,000, and left 250,000 homeless. A year later I served in Managua.

      I then moved to the industrial center of Honduras, San Pedro Sula.   Here we mostly worked in a subdivision on the outskirts called Fesitran.  We baptized a nice complete family soon after arriving.  My companion and I worked together really well in this area and covered a lot of territory.  

            As summer approached, I was transferred to Colon, Panama, the Atlantic port city of the Panama Canal.  There were several American military bases in Panama at that time, and the Colon branch was primarily military personnel.  Most of our contacts though, were Cuna Indians in the city of Colon.  They had their own language, but the men spoke Spanish.  When we taught a family, the father had to translate for his wife and children.  We had a car in Colon, and when we went on military bases, the guards would stand and salute us as they waved us in.  Clean white shirts and ties commanded respect.  Actually, the car belonged to a Lieutenant who was on vacation to the states and there was an officer's insignia on the windshield, but we enjoyed our status anyway!

            In Panama, I also served in Panama City, the Pacific port of the canal.   Here, four missionaries lived in an apartment and we cooked for ourselves.  Once again, the military presence of the Canal Zone was present on this side of Panama.  There was a congregation in the city, separate from the Canal Zone chapel.  In fact, a new chapel was under construction in our area.  Panama City is an international city filled with business people from all over the world.   Skyscrapers were being built all over the city, and there were many high rise apartment buildings.  Very different from the other mission countries.  

            Another oddity in this city was the black population.  Many blacks had been brought in to build the canal in the early 1900's, they stayed and have become a significant segment of the population.  Unfortunately though, they mostly lived in the ghetto of the city.  Because this was before negros were permitted to hold the priesthood, we were not allowed to proselyte to them.  

      I finished my mission in Managua, Nicaragua; what a contrast with Panama City.  The earthquake a year earlier had devastated the inner city: blocks and blocks of streets and sidewalks, but no buildings.  Bulldozers and trucks were still working to move the debris to the lake nearby.  What was just as impressive were the "tent cities" set up by the US Army in 3 locations on the outskirts of Managua.  One was next to "La Merced," the subdivision I lived in.  There were thousands of green canvas army tents covering the landscape.  There were communal water sources and restroom facilities.  This was not a pleasant living arrangement, yet it was better than none.  I have been told that these tent cities continued for many years after.  


President Hunsaker & wife, & Edwin Martineau

Nolan is a policeman and lives in Mesa, Arizona.

6.  Kyle Adam Briggs, 7th generation spouse

1.Joel Hills Johnson + Anna Pixley Johnson

  2.Susan Ellen Johnson + James Henry Martineau

     3.Henry Augustus Martineau (+ Editha Melissa Johnson)

  2.Sixtus Ellis Johnson + Melissa Editha Merrill

     3.Editha Melissa Johnson (+ Henry Augustus Martineau)

        4.Charles Henry Martineau + Florence Whetten

           5.Charles Orlee Martineau + Eva Morales

Argentina Cordoba, 2009

The culture there was good. Haha, some things that were funny to me is that they kissed each other on the cheeks to greet one another. They lived in cement houses that trapped the cold, so living in those is fun because my companions and I on many occasions had to leave our apartments to warm up. They would also leave their car headlights on, because they thought it would charge their batteries. They were so surprised when their cars were dead, and they would say "I left my headlights on, I should have had battery."
       The language was very hard for me. I never had any experience speaking any language, so Spanish was quite the challenge. However, I finally got the hang of it after 6 months.

       One investigator that I saw change because of the gospel, was the very first baptism I witnessed. His name was Dario. When I first met him he got baptized. He found it through his girlfriend, who was a member of the church. To many people it looked like he just did it for her, but my trainer and I knew better as we went back to give him the lessons again, as a new member.

       My companion/trainer and I were both new to the area. Elder Mahuika had been there for a month before I got there as a greenie. My trainer asked Dario about his true conversion story. So, Dario told us what happened and how he was finally baptized. He said that yes it started out with him wanting to be a member because of his girlfriend. Since that was the only way he could marry her. However, he then started to find interest in the church. He wanted to be a member because he wanted to be a true disciple of Jesus Christ, and help bring his family to the truth that he felt so strong about.

       It was way hard, he explained, since he had to get the permission of his father. His mother passed away a Catholic, and his dad wanted him to stay that way. After the third attempt, Dario was way discouraged and he basically lived in the home of his girlfriend’s family, and not at his own. Familia Aguerro was their name, and there were five in the family that were members of the church. The sixth, member of the family was the father and he was not a member. However, he allowed his family to be members, and he allowed the teaching of Dario in their home.

       Well, after trying and trying, the mother of the Aguerros, talked to her nonmember husband. She asked him to just talk to Dario’s father, and see why he didn’t want Dario to be a member. So he did it and, well, he found that the father of Dario was afraid that Dario couldn’t get blood transfusions, because he thought we were Jehovah Witnesses and that we couldn’t give or take blood. Well, the Aguerros father told him that if there was something that strange in the church that he wouldn’t have allowed his family to join it. So, when I got there, boom, he was being baptized, my companion and I never knew the real story till after he was baptized.

       Mission President: President Olsen, was a good man - very tolerant and followed the commandments of God to the T.

Missionary Companions:

       I had the best companions. They all helped me so much to grow, and get better at the language and feel better about my ability’s and my strengths in the gospel. They all were from different cultures and places and influences, yet they all had something very unique and something that just changed the way I felt about the gospel for the better.

       3rd Nephi 22, is the best because is shows how God will never leave us.

Kyle is from Sugar City, Idaho and comes from a family of nine. He attended BYU-Idaho where he met Virginia Martineau. They were married in the Manti Utah Temple August 12, 2011. They are currently expecting a baby in May. Kyle is training to be a truck-driver. Kyle can’t be lazy for long, since he loves to work and use his hands.

Top of Page

7.  Lynn Buell Eagar, 4th generation

1.Joel Hills Johnson + Anna Pixley Johnson

  2.Sariah Anna Johnson + John Eagar

     3.William Walter Eagar + Henrietta Matilda Jensen

           4.Lynn Buell Eagar

Building for the Church, 1963 - 1966

    Lynn Eagar was called to serve the church as a building missionary in 1963, when his family was young.  He built in Logan, Utah, and then was asked to move to Nauvoo and begin the restoration there.  He was appreciative of being on the Temple site the day the archaeologists uncovered the well that had been used to fill the baptismal font.  He died while working on one of the houses in Nauvoo, leaving an example of service and dedication to his posterity.